VPNs aren't as popular as they used to be in this cloud based world, but sometimes they still have a purpose for secure connections through to a company servers available services.
- We begin by opening the System Preferences window. This should be in your panel at the bottom of the screen. If not press the cmd + spacebar button together to open spotlight and enter in System Preferences.
- Once open you should see the System Preferences window. In here locate Network. You can do this by starting to type network to search, it will then highlight the result.
- Now we are in the network control panel, here you will see your wireless, wired and any other available connections you have setup on your mac. At the bottom left, you will see a + (plus) symbol. Click this to add a new connection type.
- A sub-window will now appear at the top. In here we will change the option Interface Settings. Click on the Interface Settings drop down option and select VPN.
- Now we have selected VPN, we will need to click on the VPN Type drop down box and specify which type of VPN we will use. You will have to confirm this with your IT provider. In this example we are going to use a PPTP connection.
- Give your connection a name under Service Name and click Create.
- A new VPN connection will now be created. Once done, you will see a screen like this where you will be required to fill in your details. Enter the server name or IP as provided by your server administrator in the Server Address box. Enter your network username in the Username box.
- Once done, click Advanced. It will open the following window. Enter your password into the Password box to save the password.
- Click Apply to save settings.
- Once completed, you will now see an icon in the top right corner of your mac, next to the clock that looks like the following image, currently highlighted in blue. Click it to show your VPN.
- Click on the VPN name to establish a connection to the server.
- Your VPN will now go through the process of connecting to the server. If all your settings are correct, the server will authorise and connect you.
- Congratulations you are now connected.
- To disconnect from the server, click the same VPN button and select disconnect VPN name.
Was this post helpful to you? If so we would like to hear your thoughts. Please comment below or re-tweet below.